This break is designed to give you a flavour of Serbia’s rich cultural and historic heritage. You’ll start off in Belgrade with visits to Saint Sava’s Orthodox Cathedral, named for one of the most significant figures in the region’s history, as well taking in the sprawling Kalemegdan Fortress. You’ll head for the countryside on day two, stopping off at Moravski Konaci, an ‘ethno village’, and a peaceful slice of rural Serbian history.
Further on is the glorious red Zica Monastery near Kraljevo, home to an impressive collection of medieval frescos. The monastic theme continues, as you’ll spend the night in the dormitory at Studenica Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to sleep off an authentic monastic dinner. Day three begins quietly, with a tour of local caves and a meal by the waterfalls of the Moravica river, before you’re welcomed to the town of Guca by one of the many local trumpet orchestras.
On your final full day, you’ll enjoy a ferry ride across the Morava river to the monastery of St. Nicholas, a beautifully simple village church. There’ll be a traditional lunch before the drive back to Belgrade, ready to return home the following day after an authentic four-day insight into Serbian culture.
Price: from £279 per person
- Country: Serbia
- Holiday Type: Cultural History, Escape the Crowds
- Duration: Short breaks (up to a week)
- Arrival at Belgrade Airport; transfer to a centrally-located hotel.
- Sightseeing tour of Serbia's capital, including Republic Square and the largest Orthodox Cathedral in the world.
- A free evening, and an overnight stay.
- Departure from Belgrade at 8am.
- Arrive in Velika Plana for a short break and refreshments at the local traditional settlement.
- Drive on to Kraljevo for a tour of the 12th Century Zica Monastery.
- Travel to Studenica Monastery for supper and an overnight stay in the dormitories.
- (B, D)
- After breakfast, a tour of the Studenica Medieval Complex, before a drive to Ivanjica.
- Enjoy a walk around the Hadzi-Prodan and Rcan Caves before taking lunch in a restaurant on the waterfalls of the Moravica.
- Carry on for a programme of music and overnight stay at the festival town of Guca.
- (B, L, D)
- Breakfast, then a drive to Ovcar-Kablar Gorge to take the ferry up to St. Nicolas' Monastery for some sightseeing.
- Traditional lunch before setting off again for Belgrade
- Arrival in Belgrade for evening meal and overnight stay.
- (B, L, D)
- Breakfast, then free time until the transfer to Belgrade airport.
Leader/support staff, English-speaking tour leader/ driver
Transport: Tourist-class minibus
Accomodation: See itinerary
Food: Breakfast 4x, lunch 2x, dinner 3x
Other: Traditional brunch in Velika Plana, visit to Zica and Studenica Monasteries, visits to Hadzi-Prodan cave, tour of St. Nicolas' Monastery, traditional lunches, professional guidance and logistics.
Not included: Meals not noted on itinerary, international insurance, optional tipping, guides and local staff, souvenirs and items of a personal nature (sodas, alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc).