This short break is designed to give you a snapshot of Serbia outside of the bustle of Beglrade.
Bački Petrovac is the largest Slovak enclave in Serbia, located in the northern plains of Vojvodina. Visit Sremski Karlovac first, close to Novi Sad, which is home to a beautiful centre and Serbia’s first high school housed in a stunning honey-coloured building, as well as numerous wine cellars.
In Bački Petrovac we meet the residents and eat a lunch of specially prepared Slovak traditional dishes before spending the afternoon in the village art studios, learning how to produce traditional handicrafts with the residents. We sleep in Novi Sad, Serbia’s second city, where we have a walking tour before introducing you to the Hungarian tradition of Salases; rural farmstead that welcome road-weary guests to take stock and relax while enjoying home cooked food, music and drinks.
Our adventure ends in Belgrade on the second night, giving you a city tour the following day and free time to spend as you wish once we have acquainted you with this ancient and magnificent city.
Price: from £169pp
- Country: Serbia
- Holiday Type: Cultural History, Escape the Crowds, Natural Gastro
- Duration: Short breaks (up to a week)
- Arrival at Belgrade Airport in the morning and drive to Sremski Karlovci, the spiritual and cultural centre of Serbs.
- Short walking tour through beautiful baroque center.
- Wine tasing in traditional wine cellar.
- Continue to Bački Petrovac, the largest Slovak population settlement in Vojvodina.
- Lunch at the Women's Club (Slovak speciality: potatoes baked with steaks and Slovak sausages, home-made desserts), old handicrafts visit.
- Traditional dinner in rural boarding house with folklore performance.
- Drive to Novi Sad, hotel accommodation, overnight.
- City tour of Novi Sad and Petrovaradin Fortress and Atelier 61 - Weaving and Dreaming Workshop.
- Visit to Čenej and Salas 137 – the most romantic salash-farm-grange in Vojvodina featuring authentic ambiance and riding stables, golf course.
- Traditional lunch showcasing Serbian cuisine, free time for leisure at Salas.
- Late afternoon drive to Belgrade, check in to hotel and free time.
- After breakfast Belgrade sightseeing tour.
- Free time until departure
- Leader / Support staff: English speaking tour leader and driver
- Transportation: A/C tourist class coach
- Other: Sremski Karlovic, Novi Sad and Belgrade sightseeing, wine tasting in Sremski Karlovci, folklore performance in Backi Petrovac
- Meals not noted on itinerary; international insurance; optional tipping to leader; guides and local staff; souvenirs and items of a personal nature (sodas, alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc...)